University City Announces Jazz Festival Line-Up
and Jazz Education Initiative Winners
What: The City of University City Presents the U City Jazz Festival
Where: Heman Park at Midland & Shaftesbury (St. Louis)
When: Saturday, September 22, 12 noon until 8:30 p.m.
Who: Trio Tres Bien, Bach to the Future featuring the Silverman Brothers, Miles Davis All-Star Tribute, Tracer, Dawn Weber and Naked Rock Fight, St. Louis Metrobones
INFO: Visit www.ucityjazzfestival.com for information and directions
ST. LOUIS, Missouri - August 7, 2012 - The University City Jazz Festival announces a dynamic collection of local and nationally renowned jazz artists showcasing the best in contemporary, straight-ahead, and funky music on Saturday, September 22, 2012 from 12 noon - 8:30 p.m. in Heman Park.
"In many ways, putting together this year's line-up was enjoyable and easy, but it was a balancing act," said producer and co-artistic director Michael Silverman. Spotlighting diverse talent from the St. Louis area is an important part of the fest-ival. Mike went on to say, "The depth of talent was the real impetus to start the festival in the first place. I've been all over the country, and nobody sounds like St. Louis. We have our own language of jazz, or at least our own dialect. There are some highly technical players in town as well as those with pure soul, and everything in between. It's as good as it gets!"
This year's festival programming approach is based on a strategic template from the first year of the event. Local legends are honored as the headliner, a tribute to a jazz icon is planned, and the Jazz Education Initiative, sponsored by Silverman Brothers Music, awards the next generation: St. Louis Metrobones. The roster includes the bands listed below:
* St. Louis Metrobones - 12 Noon: 19 Top trombone and rhythm section students will blow your socks off
* Tracer - 1:30 pm: Internationally renowned pianist Ptah Williams drives this explosive reunion concert
* Dawn Weber and Naked Rock Fight - 3 pm: New, high-energy, six piece funk jazz all-stars fronted by Dawn Weber
* Miles Davis All-Star Tribute - 4:30 pm: Preeminent jazz musicians pay homage in Miles' style of creative expression
* Bach to the Future featuring the Silverman Brothers - 6 pm: Classic melodies of Bach, Beethoven and Mozart arranged with jazz and world rhythms
* Trio Tres Bien - 7:30 pm: Legendary synergy of brothers who swing listeners in a universal language felt by all
* NOTE: Schedule is subject to change
"We want to honor the jazz heritage of University City with this event," says co-artistic director Robert Silverman, "but we also want that tradition to continue."
The U City Jazz Festival is founded by Mike Silverman, Rob Silverman, and Dawn DeBlaze. It is produced by Silverman Brothers Music and Jazz Midwest (501c-3) to stimulate interest in, and awareness and appreciation of, jazz in historic University City. Its mission also facilitates cross-cultural interaction, provides performance opportunities, and educates young people and adults about the important role of jazz as an indigenous American art form.
For more information about the U City Jazz Festival, artist biographies, and its sponsors visit www.UCityJazzFestival.com. The events go on rain or shine. No glass bottles allowed.
# # #
More Information: http://www.ucityjazzfestival.com
DeBlaze and Associates