Fletcher Henderson Museum
The Fletcher Henderson Museum, Inc.
Atlanta, GA 30301
Keeper of the Culture
"If you consider yourself culturally literate, you'd better know your Fletcher Henderson."
-Author, Jazz Critic & NPR's Fresh Air Contributor-Kevin Whitehead-
The Museum's Unique Collection:
• Bandleader Fletcher Henderson's Baton, One Baby Shoe & Letters To His Mother
• Lena Horne's Lipstick Print & Autograph
• Billie Holiday's Original Recording of "Strange Fruit"
• Bill "Bojangles" Robinson's Rare Recording-Tap Dancing & Singing
• Black Swan Records (America's First African-American Company) First Recording
• Rare Autographs of Fletcher Henderson/Lester Young/W.C. Handy/Fats Waller/Ben Webster/Ella Fitzgerald/Louis Armstrong/Among Many Others
• Clarinetist-Soprano Saxophonist Sidney Bechet on Record Playing All Instruments With Original Photos To Match/& Much More
Reference & Research:
• Thousands of Vintage Magazines Including Downbeat/Melody Maker/Metronome/Jazz Magazine/Many Others
• Recorded Interviews of Many of Fletcher Henderson's Musicians & Contemporaries
• Vintage (Original) Sheet Music Written &/or Published by Musicians of "The Harlem Renaissance"/"Jazz Age" & Beyond-St. Louis Blues/Ain't Misbehavin'/Honeysuckle Rose/Basin Street Blues/Sweet Georgia Brown/Sophisticated Lady/Soft Winds (Written & Arranged by Fletcher Henderson) & Many More
• Vintage Rare Recordings & Piano Rolls of W.C. Handy/Lester Young/Coleman Hawkins/Billy Strayhorn/ & of course Fletcher Henderson
• Autobiographies & Biographies of Fletcher Henderson/Mary Lou Williams/Lester Young/Eubie Blake/King Oliver/Coleman Hawkins/Sidney Bechet/Bessie Smith Etc./Other Rare Books on Jazz & Blues in General
Media Coverage on The Fletcher Henderson Museum/Fletcher Henderson:
• WRFG-FM 89.3-Monday February 25, 2008 (Recorded Interview)
• Atlanta Journal-Constitution -Sunday March 9, 2008 (http://www.accessatlanta....)
• Georgia Music Magazine (Future Edition)-Spring 2008
• Regional, National & International Coverage to Come
Quotes on Fletcher Henderson:
• Musician Benny Carter-"Playing with that band was the acid test. If you could make it with Fletcher, you could play with anybody."
• Trumpeter Jonah Jones-"In order to play Fletcher's music, you had to see around corners."
• Bandleader Lionel Hampton-"Fletcher's arrangement of ‘Sometimes I'm Happy' reminds me of Bach's fugues."
• Bandleader Paul Whiteman-"If Fletcher were a white man, he'd be a millionaire."
• Harvard Crimson (1930s)-"Fletcher Henderson's arrangement of ‘Sometimes I'm Happy' is considered one of the five top arrangements ever."
Recent Soundtracks Containing Fletcher Henderson Music:
• Bridges of Madison County (1995) Writer-"Soft Winds"
• The English Patient (1996)-Music Arranger
• Road To Perdition (2002) Performer- "Queer Notions"
• Alex & Emma (2003) Performer-"Limehouse Blues"
• The Aviator (2004) Performer-"Down South Campmeeting"
• Hot Rod (2007) Writer/Performer-"Grand Terrace Blues"
Books on Fletcher Henderson:
• The Uncrowned King of Swing: Fletcher Henderson & Big Band Jazz-@ Major Bookstores
• Hendersonia: The Music of Fletcher Henderson & His Musicians (Rare Collectable) on the internet or rare book dealer
• Remembering: The Remarkable Henderson Family (Out of Print-possibly on the internet)
• A Study In Frustration: The Fletcher Henderson Story-4-CD Set & LP
• Wrappin' It Up-CD
• Tidal Wave-CD
• First Great Jazz Band-CD (Soon To Be Released/Pre-order-Amazon.com)
For More Information:
• P.O. Box, Atlanta, GA 30301
• (404) 758-6871
Submitted By: Bob Chaney